Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1hr
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 or 8 Chicken drumsticks (thighs or breasts)
- 1 white Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh Peppers (yellow, green, and/or red)
- 3 or 4 Garlic Cloves, thinly chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 can Chicken Broth
- 1 can of Tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp of red Paprika
- 2 cups of White Rice
- 1 tbsp of Turmeric
- 1 can of Green Peas
- 3 tbsp of Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of dried Thyme
- 1/3 cup of dry White Wine
1. Boil 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Stir in 1 tbsp of Butter, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of turmeric (be careful with turmeric - it gives the rice its yellow color but it also gives it a somewhat "sandy" taste when over-used ). Add 2 cups of rice. Boil for 10 min until the water almost evaporates.
2. Slice the onion, crush the garlic, and slice the peppers.
3. In a large frying pan add 3 tbsp of olive oil and fry the onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 min until golden brown. Then add the chicken drumsticks (thighs or breasts). Fry the chicken until it turns brown for about 30 min. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Add the wine, peppers, chicken broth, paprika, lemon juice, thyme, and bay leaf to the chicken and brown for 5 more min.
6. Transfer the cooked chicken pan dish on top of the rice and disperse the green peas on it. Then cover it with the rest of the cooked rice.
7. Put it in the over for about 20 min (not more than that!) . Serve hot.